26. Local cache overview¶
While executing, cdist stores data to local cache. Currently this feature is one way only. That means that cdist does not use stored data for future runs. Anyway, those data can be used for debugging cdist, debugging types and debugging after host configuration fails.
Local cache is saved under $HOME/.cdist/cache directory, one directory entry for each host. Subdirectory path is specified by -C/--cache-path-pattern option, cache_path_pattern configuration option or by using CDIST_CACHE_PATH_PATTERN environment variable.
For more info on cache path pattern see CACHE PATH PATTERN FORMAT section in cdist man page.
26.2. Cache overview¶
As noted above each configured host has got its subdirectory in local cache. Entries in host's cache directory are as follows.
- directory with cdist type emulators
- dynamically determined cdist conf directory, union of all specified conf directories
- directory containing global explorer named files containing explorer output after running on target host
- file containing messages
- directory containing subdirectory for each cdist object
- object marker for this particular cdist run
- directory containing init manifest and remote stderr stream output
- directory containing init manifest and remote stdout stream output
- file containing target host of this cdist run, as specified when running cdist
- file containing types in order of execution.
26.2.1. Object cache overview¶
Each object under object directory has its own structurue.
- code generated from gencode-local, present only if something is generated
- code generated from gencode-remote, present only if something is generated
- directory containing type explorer named files containing explorer output after running on target host
- directory with object files created during type execution
- directory containing type parameter named files containing parameter values
- this type's source (init manifest)
- this type execution state ('done' when finished)
- directory containing type's manifest, gencode-* and code-* stderr stream outputs
- this type stdin content
- directory containing type's manifest, gencode-* and code-* stdout stream outputs.